My name is Victoria and I am addicted to sugar.
I am 1-day clean.
I’m very proud of this minor achievement, but honestly, if you put a glass of Coca Cola in front of me I would kill you for it.
Also, I just discovered that nearly everything has sugar.
My children are in shock. I’ve removed the Coke, the Orange Juice and basically everything but milk and water from the refrigerator. They might kill me while I am sleeping.
I’ve survived the day with a smoothie for breakfast containing: 1 banana; 1 egg; 1 tbsp raw oats, organic plain yoghurt; milk and a sachet of Solal’s ‘All You Need’. I know it’s for kids, but if it’s okay for them, hey, I’ll try it too. Also, I already had it in the house.
It was nice. More than I usually have at 5am – tea, milk, 3 – oh there’s no point in lying – 4 spoons of sugar. I did mention I have a small sugar problem.
The rest of the was day spent eating biltong and diced almonds – also because I had them.
And drinking black tea with no sugar. Obviously, an acquired taste.
Since it seems water and black tea are all I can have, I’d better acquire the taste soon. I will NOT be trying coffee with butter and cream. I would be violently ill.
I went shopping at Food Lovers Market and realised why banting and paleo people are so thin. It’s because the food is so damn expensive. I may have to sell a kidney on eBay to fund this healthy lifestyle.
Next week I shall be better organised and order from Timothy and Clover, have it delivered to my office and not get side tracked by how much I can’t eat.
Tonight was my first try at dinner. I Googled and then played around and ended up with… ta da…
Cauliflower Shepard’s Pie
It took me about 35 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook. It’s not a particular appetizing picture – it was attacked by hungry hoards before I whipped out my cellphone. Trust me, it tasted way better than it looks.
- 1 large head of cauliflower chopped and steamed for 20 minutes.
- Then blended with 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp of vegan hummus from Jain Junxion and a little S&P.
- 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 small onion diced and fried in 1 tbsp on coconut oil.
- Add 700g of lean beef mince and brown.
- Add 3 finely sliced/diced carrots, 3 baby marrows, 1 red pepper and fresh herbs (I used coriander) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup (250 ml) of chicken broth, 1 tsp of mustard powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cloves and some S&P.
- Stir it all up and then pour on top 3 tomatoes (blended or chopped). Don’t stir them in, just let them happily plop on top.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes then pour into a baking dish and cover with the cauliflower. I brushed a little olive oil on the top.
- Then stick in in the oven to grill for about 10 minutes.
The Husband rated it at 8/10. The Teenage Boy at 7/10. The Preteen Boy at 4/10 (no bacon, no vote); The Diva at 5/10, but ate the whole bowl. As for me, I quite liked it, although the cauliflower topping will take some adjusting to, so 8/10. An overall score of 64%. Not bad for a first try.
Any other quick recipes for weekly meals for a family of picky eaters would be very very welcome.
Now, a quick question
A number of people have mentioned appalling bad breath in their banting friends. Obviously, not a topic they’ve brought up with them. That would be rude. However, I humbly beg my friends to mention it if this happens to me. Offer me a breath mint and say no more.
Is it true?
Why does their breath smell?
Can I avoid this outcome?
Speak to me!